What's old is new

This is my place to show off the items I would call vintage, things I have either refinished or kept as is and find interesting. I am still a kid at heart bringing home what some might call junk and am always in search of that buried treasure. I am not a picker and I am not a hoarder, working with my hands on my own time repairing or refinishing the things I find brings me peace of mind and time to myself to contemplate whatever has transpired in my life or time to just zone out and concentrate on the task at hand. Some items for sale or possible trade just ask..click on my profile and send me an email.







Monday, January 28, 2013

The Bell Furniture Company-Oak T-Back Chairs

layer 1
layer 2
layer 3
layer 4 dry but all there leather pad
butchered leather, last chair

new fabric pattern or get new leather estimate


The Bell Furniture Company, Southampton, ON, Canada 1907-1937, Oak T-Back Chairs. I'm sure most of you have experienced how one project inevitably leads to another, well this is one of those times. I've got the antique dining table (see previous post) looking presentable with a nice finish on the top and gave the bottom a good once over cleaning of years of grime and dust but then the chairs were bothering me, what to do what to do. Repad and recover, I have fabric I like that I picked out for another project but didn't think there would be enough for that and at the same time I prayed there was leather underneath and low and behold after three layers of fabric and a whole lot of staples and gimp tacks there it was 80? year old drier than a popcorn fart leather, AWESOME! No cracks no splits just dry, I can save these. All for nought, during one of the many re-coverings someone butchered the leather on one seat pad, BALLS!!!!! I like the green patterned fabric I have but like black leather more on these chairs so I may get an estimate to have them covered. So much dust came out of the pads it got on the camera lens making the pics spotty....But wait as I look at the pics I'm seeing the wood baseboard and door trim thinking there's the next project, PAINT. UGH!! it never ends when your border line obsessive or just really bored.

8 comments:

  1. What a bummer that all the leather was capable of being saved except for ONE piece! What a disappointment. Be sure and let us in on what you decide to do.

    And you're right about one project spawning another. It's endless, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dana I had a bright idea for the chairs, see my reply to Dave at A Modern Line below. See I just need to hash it out with my blog peeps to come up with a solution.

      Delete
  2. I think leather would looke great on these antiquities! Perhaps you can just buy the hides and do yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel these need to stay original and have leather, it would up the resell also if we decided to sell later...What I'm thinking is I'll buy the products to clean,condition,dye the three good pads and see about having the one ruined one recovered...Hows that for frugal ;)

      Delete
  3. i have 2 chairs from bell Southampton co. one captain chair and the other normal ,there original with there leather sitting i was wondering how much they could be Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother just passed away and her antique china cabinet has two glass doors and glass down both sides. It is numbered as #914. Can anyone supply info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. any chance you can post a photo or connect?

      Delete
  5. My Mother left me cabinet #930 Single glass door and 1 drawer
    905 409 1940 for sale

    ReplyDelete